The City of Durham is home to an innovation team—known as the “i-team”—that deploys a range of strategies, including quantitative and qualitative research and design-based innovation to bring greater clarity and new solutions to the city’s most pressing problems.
Innovation team members believe in the power of cities and city government to dramatically improve people’s lives. They are uniquely positioned to bring human-centered design into policy-making. The team’s multidisciplinary approach leverages skills and tools from design thinking, behavioral science and analytics to help tackle hard-to-solve public challenges.
The Durham i-team is seeking a project manager with experience managing a high-performing team and monitoring their progress towards a goal; direct experience working with government or private sector leaders; and the ability to thoughtfully communicate with and respectfully engage diverse stakeholders around a shared vision for achieving results. Successful candidates for the Innovation Team project manager position will have a dedication to using innovative approaches to finding impactful solutions to the complex issues facing city governments and taking risks to test bold ideas, while always keeping residents in mind.
- Coordinates with Office of Performance and Innovation
- Performance staff, as well as department liaisons to insure alignment and integration into strategic and operational plans.
- Leads development of detailed charters and implementation plans for delivery on all major initiatives in the identified priority areas.
- Ensures effective project management is in place and regularly monitors progress of the team’s work and recommends corrective actions.
- Assist with day-to-day management of analysis, idea-generation activities and initiative development.
- Establishing strong relationships with partners, including government officials, private and nonprofit sector leaders, and residents.
- Researching specific policy areas that are seen as priorities of the City and Mayor.
- Consulting with internal and external experts in order to fully understand the problem and generate innovative, feasible solutions.
- Help support the idea-generation process.
- Providing support to partners in government in the development and execution of implementation plans.
- Ensuring effective outcome and indicator measuring tools are used for performance monitoring and communicating progress on the ideas the team generates to multiple stakeholders.
- Promote and embed a design-based innovation approach to problem solving within City government that helps the city move beyond their status quo.
- Work productively with City divisions and external innovators to develop creative, ambitious solutions to civic challenges.
- Manage overall program budget, and ensure spending is managed within approved annual and multi-year budget allocations.
- Actively collaborate with the Bloomberg Philanthropies.
- Program and other Innovation Team grantee cities.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (such as: Social Sciences, Management, Business, Public Policy)
- Three or more years of project or program management experience
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Proven success in mobilizing and motivating cross-functional teams.
- A strong understanding of data analytics and how it can be applied to effective public policy.
- Experience or familiarity with design-based innovation, agile development, lean startup, or other innovation methods.
- Experience managing a program budget, and ensuring overall program spending is managed within approved annual and multi-year budget allocations.