First is a venture-funded startup at the intersection of predictive analytics and real estate tech. It identifies when and why people will move, and builds products to change the game for real estate professionals and consumers.
The team is focused on shipping great products and driving innovation in a massive industry (2014 realtor commissions were >$69B). First believes in continuous improvement and sharing knowledge, whether through pair programming, speaking at meetups and eventually open-sourcing parts of the system.
As an early and senior member of a growing team, you’ll have significant ownership, input and influence over the work that First does. You will work alongside the CTO and director of design to help guide key design, architecture and technology decisions. You will own the web front-end and mobile apps (currently WebViews in iOS and Android), developing a product that meets the needs of a rapidly growing user base. This includes driving the product roadmap, bringing “design thinking” on product features, coordinating development efforts across the team and working alongside designers to iterate on product UI/UX. When you’re successful, your work will increase the efficiency and productivity of real estate agents across the country.
What you bring to the team:
- You have a passion for building products that affect real change in people’s day-to-day lives
- You have a generalist mindset, excited to jump into many parts of the stack to ship working software
- You have clear, effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- You have experience with agile practices, including TDD/BDD, continuous delivery, object oriented design, etc
- You are comfortable with asynchronous development: pull requests, chat, email, etc
Extra bonus points for:
- Located in Durham, NC
- Desire to grow and lead a team of front-end engineers
- 1-2 years of experience with React, or React Native
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Proficiency in GitHub workflow
- Design skills, or at least a strong design sense
- Experience with pair programming (remote or in-person)
- Open source contributions, side projects and gems
- Work with a team that inspires and challenges each other to grow
- Great health benefits: First has you covered with health and dental, paying 100% of your premiums and 50% for dependents
- Competitive salary and stock options
- 15 days paid time off plus company paid holidays
- Remote and on-site in Durham’s American Underground
First offers equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran or military status and other protected class characteristics.Apply Now