The City of Durham is home to an innovation team—known as the “i-team”—that deploys a range of strategies, including quantitative and qualitative research and design-based innovation to bring greater clarity and new solutions to the city’s most pressing problems.
Innovation team members believe in the power of cities and city government to dramatically improve people’s lives. They are uniquely positioned to bring human-centered design into policy-making. The team’s multidisciplinary approach leverages skills and tools from design thinking, behavioral science and analytics to help tackle hard-to-solve public challenges.
The Durham i-team is seeking a data analyst with the ability to work with large amounts of data, review numbers, trends and data to draw conclusions and make recommendations based on the findings. The data analyst will support the team’s work, with a specific focus on co-creation, research, data synthesis, idea generation and prototyping. An understanding of municipal governance and familiarity and knowledge of public sector innovation is a plus.
- Collect, organize, analyze and present data relevant to Innovation Team initiatives and related activities that support the technical aspects of innovation deployment within City Hall.
- Conduct impact oriented research in the social sciences with implementation focus and quantitative aspects, including research, analytics, and document development.
- Establish practices for better collection, documentation and storage of data.
- Experience with empirical data and statistics, to developing data-based recommendations for systems change.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of a DataHub.
- Collect and organize information from a variety of Federal, State and Community sources.
- Examine information to determine what elements are relevant to problems and what methods should be used to analyze them.
- Act entrepreneurially; finding and developing relationships with internal and external partners to better use data to make decisions.
- Advise managers and other decision makers on the impacts of various courses of action to take in order to address a problem.
- Develop simple queries and maintain them; produce various reports using appropriate programs.
- Preparation of visual presentations by designing art and copy or digital layouts to effectively engage all necessary stakeholders to support success and obtain results.
- Help ensure the process and outcomes can be measured and monitored to ensure the highest likelihood of “productive innovation.”
- In addition to Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) already tracked by the City, this position will assist with additional tracking, reporting and citizen feedback systems as needed.
- Support Office of Performance and Innovation Performance Lead in collecting, preparing, and transmitting department statistical data and ensures that the extracted data meets established formatting guidelines as required.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Three or more years of experience in data analytics (collection, analysis, visualizations, presenting, recommending)
- Attentiveness to details, deadline-oriented, acute vision and the ability to handle criticism in a constructive way
- Have a solid technical foundation, and be comfortable communicating with internal & external stakeholders on deeper technical issues.
- Have an understanding of data analysis tools like R, Python, and Microsoft Power BI.
- Be versed in the principles of open data and open government.
- Experience with empirical data and statistics, to developing data-based recommendations for systems change
- Be able to visualize data effectively to tell stories that can create innovative change
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Knowledge of statistical software packages that are vital for evaluating metrics and reporting data for the I-team’s Key Performance Measures.
- Master’s Degree or experience in relevant field desired.
- Experience and/or training in Municipal Performance Management systems